After a summer full of growth and success for HSRT, Chairman Connor Pfeiffer delivered his auxiliary report to the Republican Party of Texas State Republican Executive Committee this past weekend and was joined at the meeting by Club Chairmen Shelby James (George West, TX), Leighton Berridge (Southlake, TX) and Shooter Russell (Leander, TX).
Chairman Pfeiffer had the following to report to the SREC on HSRT’s activities since the March meeting:
Going into this fall, HSRT’s primary statewide focus was recruiting new chapters and gearing up for the general election season. Following the RPT State Convention in June where HSRT had a booth, distributed 5000 flyers and several hundred push cards, and appealed to members of the Convention Page Program to start clubs, many contacts were established that are now coming to fruition as the election season heats up and the school year progresses. HSRT set a statewide goal of having 20 chapters by the end of the fall and is on track to meet that goal. Going forward to Election Day, HSRT’s focuses remain capitalizing on election enthusiasm to start new chapters and aiding candidates across the state to victory.
- HSRT won the award from the National Teenage Republicans for Best Website in the Nation in 2012.
- HSRT’s Alamo Heights High School Chapter, founded and led by State Chairman Connor Pfeiffer, won the National Rising Star Club Award for the club’s work in 2012.
- As of September 20th, HSRT had 14 chapters, a growth rate of 75% in 6 months from 8 chapters in March 2012 when HSRT became an auxiliary.
- Out of the 6 new chapters, 2 resulted from the state convention and the other 4 came from other sources.
- These 6 chapters have anywhere from 120 to 160 members in total.
- HSRT now has at least one chapter in every major Texas metropolitan area except for El Paso.
- HSRT now has chapters within 100 miles of all but 1 (in El Paso) of the RPT’s 2012 targeted races.
- Chairman Connor Pfeiffer authored HSRT’s comprehensive “Guide to Starting a High School Republican Club” over the summer, a 29 page guide that details the entire process of starting and running a successful and effective HSRT chapter. It is distributed to every prospective chapter along with a club registration form and HSRT’s bylaws.
- Chairman Connor Pfeiffer appointed Leighton Berridge from Carroll HS in Southlake as HSRT’s statewide political director in order to have someone at the state level whose focus is getting clubs involved with campaigns and races across the state.
- An HSRT political guide is in the works to help newer chapters understand the political opportunities available to them.
- HSRT has also started a statewide contest among HSRT chapters, with the winning club having the most man-hours of political volunteering between August 1st and Election Day.
- Leighton has created a volunteer sheet for clubs to log their volunteer hours so HSRT can get an idea at the state level how much activity is going on at different clubs and as a whole.
- Clubs are being encouraged to participate in RPT’s statewide block walking days on October 20th and November 3rd as well as volunteering throughout the rest of the election season.
2013 State Convention:
- HSRT will have its first state convention this spring.
- HSRT’s State Executive Committee has begun identifying possible locations to host the convention.
Continue to help support HSRT by donating or helping start a chapter in your area! For a full recap of the SREC meeting, click on this link: http://www.texasgop.org/posts/289-chairman-s-update-september-2012